A handsewn cupcake pincushion is simple and sweet. They also make great gifts!
- Two sheets felt
- Green felt scrap (leaf)
- 1-inch red craft pom
- Girl’s bobby sock
- Hand sewing needle
- Ball-head pins
You’ll need two sheets of craft felt in contrasting colors. You’ll also need a little piece of green felt for the leaf. (You could also use fleece for this project, but felt is less expensive.)
You’ll need a girl’s bobby sock. Select a sock that is ribbed. I bought this pack of 3 pairs for $4 at Wal-Mart, but you can probably find single pairs at your dollar store.
You’ll also need a hand-sewing needle and thread, in the same color as the sock. And, you’ll need a red craft pom to make the cherry, as well as colored ball-head pins to make the sprinkles.
1) Start by cutting the two sheets of craft felt in half lengthwise. At this point, decide which type of cupcake you prefer: one with fat frosting swirls, or the narrower version. If you want the thinner one, you’ll only use one half of each sheet. If you like the thicker one, you’ll use all of your felt.
2) Fold the felt strip in half lengthwise. (If you’re making the fat cupcake, layer the two like pieces and fold as one.)
3) Then, lay one folded strip on top of the other, and roll together. Make sure the center is tight.
4) If you’d like, you can poke the bottom center of the cupcake upward, to make your cupcake look like it rose in the oven.
5) Use a few pins to hold the rolled cupcake together. Then, trim off the excess fabric on the side so it’s even. Trim the bottom of the cupcake so that it’s flat.
6) Hand sew the edge of the roll to secure. Don’t worry about making your stitches pretty, they won’t show.
7) Now we can add the cupcake liner. Cut the sock below the end of the ribbing. Fold the cut sock in half. Slide over the cupcake, with the folded edge at bottom. Arrange the sock so that the liner reaches the top edge of the cupcake, making sure to leave some excess at the bottom for sewing.
8) Make small snips along the bottom fold of the sock. This will help it to lay flat when sewing.
9) Fold the cut pHandsew a circle of sitches along the bottom of the sock, pulling the thread to gather the sock.
10) Now we can add the cherry. Cut a leaf from the green felt, and poke the needle through the underside. Then pierce the red pom through the center and pull tight. Go back down through the pom and leaf, and sew to the center of the cupcake.
11) Finally, add colored pins as the sprinkles.