This sponge painting technique softly blends three shades for a watercolor effect.
- White nail polish
- Three colors of polish
- Olive oil
- Cosmetic / makeup sponge
- Nail polish remover
1) Paint your nails with two coats of white nail polish.
2) Dip a Q-tip in olive oil and wipe around your cuticles and the tops of your fingers. This will make nail polish clean up easier. It will still be on the messy side, but the nail polish will be much easier to remove.
3) Cut a piece of a cosmetic sponge that is slightly bigger than your largest nail. Paint stripes across the foam, layering one color above the other. Try a sunset effect like this one, or mix it up for a rainbow look.
4) Press the sponge against your nail and lift straight up. Repeat for each nail.
5) For deeper color, stamp the painted sponge on each nail a second time.
6) Top with a clear coat.