Make someone’s day a lucky one with a homemade lotto scratch ticket. Use them as doorprizes at the office, favors at a party, or as a fun way to surprise your kids.
- Acrylic paint (metallic)
- Paint brush
- Clear dish soap
- Clear packing tape
- White cardstock
- Free printable tickets (click here for St. Patrick’s Day / click here for Valentine’s Day)
1) You’ll need to print off the free lotto tickets (see links in supply list above) Print them on white cardstock. I have Valentine themed tickets as well as St. Patrick’s Day tickets. Or, you can get creative and make your own.
2) Cut out the tickets. Use a pen to write a prize in the box. Then, cover the box with a square of clear packing tape. Press firmly to seal the edges.
3) Now we’ll make the foil solution. You’ll need some metallic acrylic paint. You can choose gold, silver, or copper. Pour about a 1/2 tablespoon in a disposable cup. Now add an equal amount of clear dish soap. Mix with a paintbrush.
4) Paint over the square on top of the tape. I’ve found it’s easiest to outline the square with paint, and then fill in the center. Don’t worry if you can see the writing beneath; this project requires a second coat.
5) Set the tickets aside to dry. Acrylic paint usually dries in about 5 minutes, but this will take longer because of the soap. Expect to wait about 30 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, you can add lucky pennies to the St. Patrick’s Day tickets. Add a dot of hot glue to the middle of the penny picture, and place a penny on top. Don’t press down, you want the coin to stick but you also want it to come off easily for scratching.
7) Once the paint is completely dry, stir your paint solution once more, then paint a second coat. Allow to dry. Now your scratch cards are ready to use!