It’s simple to sew a bow tie that will grow with your child. A Velcro closure means you’ll get a custom fit, for years to come!
- 1/4 yd cotton fabric
- 1/8 yd medium weight interfacing
- 4 in. Velcro
- Sewing machine & thread
1) Start by measuring the circumference of your child’s neck. Then add 1 inch to the measurement for seams, and 3 inches for growth.
2) Cut a rectangle of fabric to that length, and make it 3 inches wide. Also cut two rectangles of fabric and one of interfacing, 3 x 10 inches, and a small rectangle that’s 2.5 x 4 inches. You will have five pieces all together.
3) If you’re using iron-on interfacing, iron it to the back of one of the 3×10 rectangles. Then, stack the matching rectangles right sides together, with the interfacing on bottom. Pin in place.
4) Sew around the edges with a 1/4 inch seam, leaving one short end open for turning.
5) Remove the pins and trim the corners for crisp seams. Be careful not to snip your stitches. Turn right side out, and use the eraser end of a pencil to poke out the corners from the inside.
6) Press the rectangle, folding in the open edge 1/2 inch. Topstitch shut with a 1/8 inch seam.
7) Now fold the two ends of the rectangle inward to touch in the center. Press. Flip the rectangle over so the middle fold is now face-down.
8) Then fold in half again, lengthwise. The middle fold line should now show on the outside. Pin in place.
9) Sew a line about 1 1/2 inches long across the middle, about 1/2 inch in from the folded edge. You may need to switch to a heavy duty needle.
10) Now find the smallest rectangle and fold it in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew along the long side with a 1/4 inch seam. Turn right side out. Center the seam and press.
11) Wrap this strip around the center of the bow. The raw ends should meet in back. Sew the ends of the strip together close to the bow. Then snip off the excess fabric. Serge or zig-zag stitch over the raw ends.
12) Finally, we’ll make the neck band. Fold the longest rectangle in half lengthwise. Sew down the long side with a 1/4 inch seam. Turn right side out, center the seam, and press.
13) Fold in the ends 1/2 inch and press. Topstitch ends shut with 1/8 inch seam.
14) Pin 3 inches of rough velcro to outside of strap. Add 1 inch of fuzzy velcro to the opposite end of strap, on the back (the side with the seam). Sew in place. Remove the pins and snip any stray threads.
15) Weave the strap through the back of the bow, making sure the seam is on the back. Now the bow tie is ready to wear! Adjust the Velcro straps to fit your boy comfortably.